Thursday, March 22, 2012

THE WORLD IS ENDING!!!

  I am a dystopian connoisseur and I love a well-conceptualized “we drove ourselves into the ground” set up. It doesn't matter if the  author wants to make the dystopian vision the narrative centerpiece or use it as a springboard for introducing us to the story. Ever since I read Fahrenheit 451 when I was 12 years old I've been hooked ("Burn them or they'll burn you"). To me, it's STILL the best one I've ever read but I have to admit The Hunger Games is a close second. Because of all the hype, everywhere I turn is another apocalyptic novel. I can't get my hands on enough of them.

Yes, everyone is all lovey dovey over this book but the reality is, THIS BOOK IS GOOD.
Taken place in the ruins of Chicago (which for some reason to me seems redundant. I'm a NYer. Therefore all smaller cities seem apocalyptic-"What no Starbucks in walking distance? Barbarians)
society is now divided into five fractions,Abnegation – the selfless, Erudite – those in search of knowledge, Dauntless -the brave , Amity – the peaceful , and Candor – the honest. At 16 everyone has to choose their fraction. They get a little help from a simulation test but ultimately it's their decision but most people don't transfer fractions. So now your thinking that this story is about people hating other fractions and rebeling from the fractions they were born in but slowly this story becomes so much more.

Our heroine Beatrice is raised in the Abnegation faction. which right away you can tell sucks. Its nice that they bring humanity to the post apocalyptic world but those from Abnegation  can't look in a mirror, have to wear gray clothes, have never had a hamburger and have to carry food on them at all times in case the fractionless beg for some. Sounds exhausting.  So, on her choosing day, she goes to a different faction, one that involves awesome things like tattoos, piercings, zip lines, train car jumping and weapons (Totally Big Red's kinda thing.) It's in this fraction where Beatrice, now called Tris, meets Four (collective sigh--Ahh Four...).

Veronica Roth's writing is nothing less than stunning and smooth. The writing is so fast paced and action filled.Character development was strong (especially that of Four). Tris ends up being pretty kick ass which is staying something because I usually don't do the girl heroine thing. There was
good, solid prose  that creates an environment conducive to good story-telling but ALAS! the development of my favorite part fell short.This was not a believable dystopia. The details just weren't there. Still, It's a good read and I've already pre-ordered the second book. It has the promise of being a great series.

No comments:

Post a Comment